ADOPTION ORIENTATION SCHEDULE
Thank you for your interest in fostering and/or adoption. Below is information regarding the basic requirements and the process
The basic requirements are as follows:
- Be at least 21 years old or older
- Have stable appropriate housing (renting is fine)
- Be able to pass a background check along with all other adults in your home.
- Complete a 24-hour training class called Professional Parenting
- Have a home study completed
- Be able to provide for your family financially, and not rely solely on the child’s board rate to pay your bills.
The first step to actually get the process started is to attend an orientation. All orientations are for adults only. The orientation covers both fostering and adoption. There is a representative there from each department. Attending an orientation does not obligate you to anything. It is strictly informational. At the orientation the facilitator will go over everything in detail and give you a chance to ask any questions that you might have. You will be given some preliminary paperwork. If you do decide to continue with the program, you will need to complete the paperwork and return to us. Once the licensing supervisor or adoption representative has approved the application, you will be scheduled for a training class. The 24-hour Professional Parenting class is broken down into one (1) night a week, three (3) hours a night for eight (8) weeks. From the time you start your first class until you are licensed is approximately 5 months. The time frame for the adoption process varies with each individual case.
Frequently asked questions
- Medical – all of the children are on Medicaid so all of their medical and dental is covered
- Do you, as a foster parent, have any input on the children you work with – Yes, you do. You can specify an age range and gender of the children you wish to work with. You can be as specific as you want or as open, and you are free to change that profile at any time.
Additional Adoption information
- The children available for adoption through the foster system are from the age of 10 years old and up
- In order to be pre-approved for an adoption training class you must have an identified child or be interested in adopting children in the above age range
Because of the ongoing health crisis, we are currently only offering the online version of the orientation. The link for that is below. You may do this at your convenience.